Thursday, April 27, 2017

Publishing power

Digital publishing is already changing the way books are delivered and consumed. It has put power in the hands of writers and has democratized the publishing industry. 

That's why I am not going to give advice about getting an agent or interesting a publisher. You're going to publish yourself.

These days it’s possible to write and rewrite your novel in six months and publish it in about six hours. 

That's about as level a playing field as it is possible to find. You can have the same power that an author with a traditional publisher would have and you have the complete say about everything having to do with your book.




Digital publishing means your book is delivered and consumed differently than the traditional publishing models. The advantages: speed to market, low-cost delivery, global scale and no upfront costs for you as the author.

Before you decide which publishing options to pursue, you must have a quality product the public wants to buy. And that's what I'm writing about after the break.


Here are some hints about creating a product that will sell.

Read before you write. Before you sit down to write, read other writers.
When I decided to write a female protagonist mystery novel, I read almost two dozen mystery novels with female protagonists.

(Later, in fact, I got to serve on a writing panel with Mary Higgins Clark, one of the writers I studied and was given the opportunity to thank her.)

What I did with a few of Mary Higgins Clark’s books was to take a book I liked and go through it a second time. I studied how she structured the book. I was especially interested in how her books were organized. I certainly did not imitate Mary. When I wrote my book, I let it come from my own heart, my own mind, and my imagination. If you want to be a writer, you can hone your own skills by reading people who are good writers.

Write for yourself. Write what you love to read. Don't shy away from the genre you love because you fear it will be too difficult to break into. You are going to publish your novel, no matter what, so be proud of what you write.
If you don’t know and love the genre you are writing in, it will show and you won’t make it. So write what you want to read.


Learn how to write. Learning how to write is not something that happens in a day. As America Online's online writing teacher, I taught 4,125 people how to write their first novel.

What I did in my book Novel Secrets is to make it easy to learn to write a novel at almost no cost to you. Or just check my website every day for most of the information and copy and paste it.

Hundreds of how-to books are available on every aspect of writing the novel. They cover writing in general and also narrow in on specific topics. Want more insight into the plot, dialog, characterization, voice, style, viewpoint, action, or conflict? My book covers it.

Above from the book NOVEL SECRETS,
available for Kindle for only $.99 cents:
 http://smarturl.it/novsec