Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Give them (TV and radio people) everything in simple terms.

The secret with TV people it to give them everything they need to know, in simple terms.

It doesn't mean they are dumb, but they are busy. If you hand them a 16 paragraph note about you, they're not even going to read it. 


Learn some sound bites

It's a good idea to create and learn a few sound bites about you and your book. Sound bites are simply things that can be expressed in short sentences.

For example, my books were set in Tampa Bay which I often tried to mention.

"I've wanted to read books set in Tampa Bay, but I couldn't find any. That’s why I wrote one."

"Yes, I enjoyed writing novels so much, that’s why I’ve gone on to teach other people how to do it."

“Mostly I get my ideas from newspapers, true crime books and television.”

If you learn these little factoids about yourself, you are prepared to answer them succinctly. That's the trick. The thing broadcast interviewers hate, and their eyes start to glaze over when it happens, is when you don't stop talking, so be prepared to stop talking at any time.

If you've learned some sound bites, you can do a sound bite, watch their eyes, and if they're not glazing over or looking away, you go on. You can stop at the end of whatever sound bite you need to.

When I say "sound bite" I don't mean to make up something plastic and ridiculous. I'm saying take the information you want to get across and "format" it into little, serviceable chunks that you can use on TV.

Bottom line on self-promotion.

Be proud of your profession. Anytime someone has a crafts fair in your area, get a table and sell your books. You are an author. Most people don’t achieve that. Sell some books at flea markets. I have offered books as prizes for fundraisers, as well.
----- (From NOVEL SECRETS available in paperback and Kindle form.) http://smarturl.it/novsec


No comments:

Post a Comment