Sunday, July 23, 2017

While trying to get facts straight, I depend on photographs of my settings

Photograph settings and use them effectively.
Another primary research tool, which I depend on while trying to get my facts straight, is photographs of my settings or objects that may appear in my book. Of course, if your books are set in Paris or in the 18th century, you'll have to do a Google search for images. However, you can still take shots of small details like costumes and such.


When I launched my Veronica Slate series of mystery novels, I took photos of all my locations because they were all real locations in the Tampa Bay area. I took nearly 100 pictures of the Don CeSar Resort Hotel where much of the action of Extreme Close-Up takes place.

The purpose of the photographs is to capture things you'll use in your book so you can recall exactly how they appear when you're back home in front of the laptop or tablet. In addition, you can find practically anything on YouTube. However, you have to know your topic well enough to know how to search for it.

However, once you have gained the info, you should avoid the trap of using all of it.

Don't tell readers more than they need to know.

In other words, don't use the info just because you have it.
You should use only the important details, which give readers the opportunity to fill in the rest of the scene.

It’s better for you to know too much in order to write just a little bit. At least the little bit will be accurate and precision is important in fiction.

If you only have a little bit of info, you tend to use everything you have whether it’s important or not.

Conversely, when you have lots of information, you can be selective and choose just the best details and your work will improve.

----- (From NOVEL SECRETS available in paperback and Kindle form.) http://smarturl.it/novsec

Lary Crews